Gwalior fort is one of the beautiful and famous forts of India. Writer Taj-Ul-Maseer writes about this fort. “Fast Wind cannot touch its climax and fast clouds cannot cast their shadow in its PARKOTAS. On its Vakshsthal there are written stories of life/death, Sanyog-Viyog, bravery and cowardice. This is situated 110 Km. south of Agra. This stony hillock where this stands is made of peculiar strong stone. This fort is more than 300 ft. high. This is 3 K. M. long from North to South and, 600 to 3000 ft broad from east to west.
On the eastern side of the historic fort Raja Man Singh got constructed a beautiful palace. Outside the palace there are 6 beautiful high gates. Almost all have praised its architect 6 places have been built on this fort and Gujri Mahal is one of the spots worth seeing. There are two routes to climb up this fort. First Gwalior gate is in the east and second in the west is Urvai gate. Apart from them there were 3 more gates which led inside of them Thotha por and Radha Gargaj gates and third is in the south which have been closed now.
5 gates have to be crossed to reach the fort from the eastern side. First gate is ALAMGIR DARWAZA which is now commonly known as Gwalior Gate. Second is BADALGARH or HINDOLA gate, Third is Ganesh Dwar, fourth is LAXMAN Dwar and 5th is Hathiapore. Alamgir Darwaza was got constructed in 1660 by Motimid Khan Governor of this fort in the regime of Aurangzeb. Badalgarh gate is a beautiful example of stone craft which was constructed in 15th Century which is known in the name of Badal Singh brother of Raja Kalyan Mal Tomar.
Buildings At The Fort
About half a dozen palaces exist on this historic fort of them some were constructed by Raja Man Singh and some by Muslim rulers. Manmandir which exhibits good craftmanship was got constructed by Raja Mansingh in 1516. The eastern front portion is 300feet long and 80 feet wide. Over this building are six big tombs. This is an example of great craftsman ship of stone carving. Southern portion of Man Mandir is 150feet long and 50-60 feet high; over this 3 BURJIYAN though over 500 years old still shine. Idols of Animals-Birds, Trees and Human beings are made in the alls of the building which add to its beauty.
The second palace is Gujri Mahal. Raja Mansingh got it constructed for his wife MRIGNAYANI whom he loved very much. This palace too was constructed when Man Mandir was constructed i. e. around 1515-17. On all the four sides rooms are constructed in Gujri Mahal. There is no such room which does not exhibit example of high art. In this palace water was brought by earthen pipe for Rani “MRIGNAYANI”. Other 2 palaces are Karan Mahal and second Vikram Mahal. On seeing them common man is led to appreciate SANSKRAT VABHAV of this area. There are two more palaces Jahangir Mahal and Shah Jahan Mahal. There were many a mandir. Of them a few are still safe and are examples of beautiful craftmanship. Of them SAS BAHU KA MANDIR, TELE KA MANDIR, JAIN IDOLS and Chaturbhuj Mandir are worth seeing. In this great fort there are many a tank which have been carved from the stones. Of them Johar Talab, Apart from this in this historic big fort of Gwalior there are many a BETHAK and building of European style where there is Scindia School now a days.
Jain Idols have been carved in the stone walls of the fort. Of them some idols from their carving reveal that they came into being from the year 1440 to 1472. Of them many are religious idols some are in standing and some are in sitting posture. GHOS SAHIB’s TOMB On the east of the town at Hajira, there is the tomb of GOS SAHIB. This is an example of infancy art of Mughal art. It is square in construction and on all the four sides there are Burj; on their ends are small Gumbad. On all the four sides there are thick and fine JALEES and on the top of the building there is a big Gumbad which was once decorates with Shining blue stones. Badayun in his book MUNTKHABUL-TAWAREEKH has written about Gos Sahib that he was a great sant and also Guru of Mughal Emperor Akbar and Tansen.
This is a rectangular palace built in 1,20,000 sq mt . 400 m long and 300 mt wide palace has 50 halls. A open ground is located just in the middle of the complex with an array of pool in it , which were used to collect rain waters same as rain water harvesting. Previously these building was called ” Sher Mandir” because it was developed by King Sher Shah Suri . In later years this palace was renovated by King Jahagir and called as Jahangir Palace.
The Shahjahan Palace s located at thenorth east side of Jahangir Palace and its the part of Jahangir Palace. This palace was built by Emperor Shahjahan in 4,900 sq mt area. When Shahjahan was on the trip to Southern India with his queens. He stayed here for sometime. Skylights are there for the first ray of sun to reach the Palace. Its architecture is same as that of Agra Fort.
Light & Sound Show , Gwalior Fort
Hindi : 7:30-8:15pm
English : 8:30-9:15pm
|Winter – November – February
Hindi : 6:30-7:15pm
English : 7:30-8:15pm
Adult : Rs 75 per Head
Child : Rs 30 per Head
Adult: Rs 250 per Head
Child : Rs 100 per Head