Ater is situated 30 kms north west of the Bhinds district headquarters. Its ancient name ” Udaynagari ” was acquired from the records of Bhadoria rulers. During 1700 AD the Bhadoria rulers here was on there climax period but there rulers were never remained independent .Earlier they are subordinates of Mughals and Later they remain under Scindias. Discription of around 23 rulers of ater was found in various records , texts and other sources in which Ruler Badan Singh , Maha Singh , Jai SIngh , Anirudh Singh and Bukht Singh are noteworthy. Ater fortress was built by Ruler Badan Singh and major architectures are

Mahadwar
Khooni Darwaja
Deewane Aam
Deewane Khaas
Hathiya paur
Satkhanda
Raja rani ke bangle
Worship sites of ruler family
Ratiwas Chowk
The lattice of stones carved inside the fortress have their own artistic importance.Almost all the architecture fortress have impact of Mughal Style. Lattice are carved very closely and on the upper side of those lattices flowers are carved left right and inside and “Allah Taalaa ” is engraved in Arab Language. There for when the fortress was built it was kept in mind to make their Mughal Emperors happy.The construction of this fortress was started at 1701 AD by Maharaj Badane Singh and completed b Mahraja Mahasingh at 1725 AD.This fortress has total three inscriptions present.

Mahadwar – Peoples have belief about this door that on the day of Dushehra every year a goat was slaughtered and its blood was filled in a tank just above the door which drips drops by drop from a cell or opening. But it looks that due to the red color of this door the peoples have started calling it ” Khooni Darwaza “
Deewan-e-Aam – This part of the fortress was used during local gathering or celebration of community festivals. Scaffold of 4′x50′x80′ size is there for the sitting of the king and other prestigious peoples, a catacomb is also there just below the scaffold. On all the edges of scaffold flagstones are carved with beautiful shelfs for putting lamps in it and on the right side of scaffold there is a place to tie an elephant of the king with red stones.
Deewan-e-khaas – It has a beautiful garden and fountains with a octagon scaffold right in the middle with peices of octagonal marbles and red stones. A Mughal Style sitting place of the king on the south front of this scaffold at Deewan-e-Khaas.A temple is also there just at the right side of this scaffold. Just below the temple there is a bathroom of the queens having lattices for fresh air and light with mazes in which anyone can get lost in for playing and entertainment.Porches are there in front left and right side of this part.
Satkhanda – At the south of Deewan-e-Khaas seven floor septagonal building called “Satkhanda” of which two floors are catacomb and 5 floors are normal.From the top of “Satkhanda” building one can wach miles away from Ater. North part of this buliding was used as a security checkpost which is having an amazing look of the river also. Mortar including calmshell mixture is used at every floor of the building having its shine and whitish look same at present as in the past with red stone lattices.


Bungalow or King and Queen – From the second floor of satkhanda there is a passage to reach the bungalow of King and Queen . This bungalow is founded on the pillars with lattices to look out the nature from inside with a roof.Small rooms are located on both the sides of the porch which is build up of mortar mixed with clamshell. On the left side of the porch a lamp holder shelf with Lord Laxmi carved holding a elephant upside down by its tail. There carvings are the symbol of celebration of happiness after winning another state . This part of the building was used for fun during summers and rainy season. A flagstone of Maharaja Bakht Singh adorned with designation of “Maharajadhiraaj” of 1822AD is situated on the top of this building with Mohammad Ami who was perhaps the artisan of that time.

Leave a Reply